Table of Contents Hide
Flagship Performance under $900
Today, nubia finally announced the Pro version of the REDMAGIC 7 will be available for purchase from April 27, starting from $799. Featuring the flagship Snapdragon chipset 8 Gen 1 along with a gaming chip known as the Red Core 1, the world’s first gaming smartphone with an under-display-camera will be available in two models: the Obsidian with 16GB + 256GB ($799) and the Supernova version with 16GB RAM + 512GB ($899).
World’s First Gaming Smartphone with Under-Display Camera
Introduced as the true full-screen experience with an under-display camera (UDC) in a powerful gaming smartphone, the REDMAGIC 7 Pro promises to deliver an ultra-clear gaming screen on a bright 6.8 inch (17.27cm, 11.6cm) AMOLED display with a Full HD + 1080*2400 screen.
REDMAGIC states that the 7 PRO’s Under Display Camera has been engineered to be the near-perfect screen for entertainment and gaming in 2022, involving a combination of multiple full-screen technologies: an innovative circuit designed to increase light transmissivity of the area above the UDC called “Multi-Drive ACE”, 7 layers of highly transparent materials with special OLED and high-tech materials aiming to make the UDC areas more translucent, the industry’s first wave-type electrode trace program to reduce the diffraction generated by the light and finally an intelligent pixel enhancement to optimize the light capture. Wow, it sounds very complex.
As an impact of the UDC technology, the REDMAGIC 7 PRO supports up to 120 Hz refresh rate and focuses on delivering more gaming reactivity with a 960 Hz multi-finger touch sampling rate.
Higher Performance with a dedicated gaming chip: Red Core 1
With the REDMAGIC 7 Pro, nubia innovates by bringing the first dedicated gaming chip to a gaming smartphone. Known as the Red Core 1, the chip is designed to operate mobile gaming functions that aren’t directly related to graphics or higher frame rates, meaning it takes over some of the work from the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 SoC to enable the gaming smartphone to perform more efficiently. The Red Core 1 can process audio, RGB lighting, and haptic feedback. Thus, enabling the Snapdragon flagship SoC to focus more resources on mobile games, applications, and other operations.
Another upgrade is in the battery department with the addition of a 5000mAh double-cell large battery incorporating Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 5 Technology. The official press release doesn’t state whether it will be coming with the 135W charging speed promoted by Qualcomm back in March, however, the global version will include a 65W quick air-cooled charging port with a 65W GaN charger.
Upgraded ICE 9.0 Multi-dimensional Cooling System
As we highlighted here in the past few weeks, the new REDMAGIC 7 PRO combines heat dissipation with high-speed, rapid thermal conductivity and active cooling. The cooling system includes 9 layers of heat dissipation materials: composite graphene, vapor chamber heat dissipation plate, air aluminum box, high-speed turbofan, soft high-conducting rare earth elements, high-conducting gel, copper foil, heat dissipation plate, and a cooling air duct.
Designed with the second-largest vapor chamber (VC) cooling plate in the industry at 4124mm2, the VC liquid cooling plate is increased by 300% enabling a comprehensive upgrade of the overall heat dissipation process for the ICE 9.0, nubia’s signature cooling system for better performance. On top of everything, nubia’s built-in high-speed turbofan increases air volume up to 33.3%, reaching 89300mm3/s. Its 20,000 RPM is compared to F1 racing engine levels with a 9.2% space optimization and 41% noise drop. The super quiet turbofan is designed with: 0.1mm ultra-thin fan blades, an Iso-alloy frame structure, a metal cover, and four energy-efficient coils. The Supernova edition has fan blades with four RGB color lights that users can easily appreciate.
We’ve seen cooling as a more and more appreciated feature, as newly launched chipsets tend to deliver more heat when running at full throttle.
Immersive Gaming Experience with an Enhanced Design
The dual shoulder triggers have a 500 Hz touch sampling rate giving them a low touch response of 8ms. For gamers who enjoy playing games like Genshin Impact, League of Legends, Wild Rift, and Fortnite. Tested to withstand more than two million finger presses, the anti-sweat shoulder triggers, are also ergonomically designed to ensure quality and durability.
The REDMAGIC 7 PRO also has a double X-axis motor for enhanced performance for a stronger vibration and more accurate touch feedback and gaming experience. Also, the new device is certified by the leading industry authority, DTS: X Ultra Surround Sound, because its upgraded Dual Stereo Speakers provide high-quality surround sound with double smart PA and higher power stereo speakers.
● RGB gaming lights for enhanced style with 16.8 million colors, custom light effects, symmetric layout, sound, and light synchronization algorithms.
● REDMAGIC Studio supports up to 120 FPS wireless projection, and can be connected to devices with
an HDMI cable and USB;
● Triple camera setup with neovision AI photography 64MP+8MP, Macro+2MP micro custom ultra-small
16MP front camera.
● New accessories seem to be available upon the launch:
- A protective case with a distinctive X Mecha Design. It has a carved texture and a built-in cooling aluminum plate with a concave structure for a comfortable grip;
- A tempered glass screen protector that has been tested to withstand 10,000 high-speed taps and swipes. It is made crystal clear, silky smooth, and highly durable;
- The turbo cooler is a centrifugal turbofan with 29 blades increasing airflow by 217%. The cooling surface increases by 20%, and a 48% increase in airflow. It is whisper-quiet, generating less than 30db using turbo car technology, and also has a gaming design RGB light effect.
Pricing and Availability
The REDMAGIC 7 PRO is available for order from April 27,2022 on the official REDMAGIC website with an
early bird offer from April 22, 2022.
● Supernova with 16GB RAM + 512GB memory – $899 / €899 / £759
● Obsidian with 16GB RAM + 256GB memory – $799 / €799 / £679
The REDMAGIC 7 PRO will be available in the following countries and regions:
● The UK
● Europe: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Croatia, Luxembourg, the Republic of Cyprus, Czech
Republic, Netherlands, Denmark, Poland, Estonia, Portugal, Finland, Romania, France, Slovakia,
Germany, Slovenia, Greece, Spain, Sweden, Ireland, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Malta.
● North America: Canada and the United States.
● Asia Pacific: Australia, Hong Kong (China SAR), Indonesia, Macau (China SAR), Philippines,
● Middle East: Israel, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar.
● Latin America: Mexico, Peru, and Chile
Although we won’t have the device in our hands this month, we are looking forward to putting to the test this gaming smartphone as it introduces a certain number of innovative specs and potentially delivers high performance. That being said, starting at $799, the REDMAGIC 7 Pro has the opportunity to become a so-called flagship killer as long as it delivers an acceptable software experience to users. See all the launch campaigns here.