A couple of days ago, Qualcomm launched the FastConnect 7800 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connection system at the MWC 2022 exhibition. With this statement, it took the lead in supporting the latest Wi-Fi 7 specification. The peak speed is up to 5.8Gbps and latency below 2ms. Other than that, it supports a series of advanced features to ensure a smoother connection.
Qualcomm expects it to be the first commercially shipped Wi-Fi 7 solution. According to the company’s plans, it will be commercially available in the second half of 2022.
The Wi-Fi 7 technical solution uses 5GHz and 6GHz Wi-Fi connections, which can bring an ultra-high capacity and ultra-low latency connection experience.
Based on the characteristics of four data streams of high-frequency multi-connection concurrent technology, the Qualcomm FastConnect 7800 supports all multi-connection modes. We can use it in the 320MHz channel in the increasingly popular 6GHz band, or the 240MHz channel in the globally available 5GHz band. The latter will provide the lowest latency and interference.
Key Advantages Of Qualcomm FastConnect 7800
The FastConnect 7800 is backward compatible with devices using previous-generation Wi-Fi standards and further provides the following key features:
- Peak speed: 5.8Gbps (320MHz channel or paired 160MHz channel) or 4.3Gbps (for areas where 6GHz spectrum is unavailable), a 60% improvement over FastConnect 6900 series;
- Continuous low latency below 2ms; support 5GHz, 6GHz, and 2.4GHz frequency bands, 50% lower than the previous generation;
- System enhancements enable 30%-50% energy savings in the most demanding Wi-Fi continuous use cases;
- Adopt 4K QAM modulation technology;
- Supports 802/11be (Wi-Fi 7 – expected to be certified after project standards release), 802.11ax (Wi-Fi6E, Wi-Fi 6), 802.11ac Wave 2, 802.11a/b/g/n.
At the same time, it supports high-frequency multi-connection concurrent technology, 4-channel dual-band concurrent feature extended to the high-frequency band, and complete Wi-Fi 7 feature support.
Also, the FastConnect 7800 supports Bluetooth 5.3, LE Audio, and ANT+, as well as dual Bluetooth and Snapdragon Sound technology and LE Audio for personal audio sharing and broadcasting.
Among them, Snapdragon Sound can also bring:
- 16-bit 44.1kHz CD-level lossless Bluetooth sound quality;
- 24-bit 96kHz Ultra HD Bluetooth sound quality;
- 32kHz ultra-wideband voice supports ultra-clear call experience;
- Game mode with audio latency as low as 68ms (supports a stutter-free gaming experience and in-game voice chat);
- Provides stereo recording to ensure a robust connection even in complex and congested RF environments.
Although these technologies are still in their infancy, with the support of the excellent connection characteristics, the new system will be quite useful when running applications such as video conferencing, Metaverse, XR, 4K, 8K, and other high-quality videos.